Thursday, September 24, 2009

A silver lining.



It's been awhile since I last blogged. If it's any excuse, I've been in mourning. Why is it that we always take those things we love for granted, assuming they'll always be there for us. For the past 21 years, she's been at my side, helping to make every birthday and holiday extra special. And has been there for me on the dull drab days in-between, always giving her warmth to the heart of our home, never asking for anything in return.

She started getting sick last November and has been slowly deteriorating. Finally, just a few short weeks ago, I found her just sitting in the kitchen, lifeless and cold; dead cold. I couldn't revive her. I tried everything, but all the tricks I could do before to get her to warm up to me just wasn't working. I knew her time had come. My oven had gone to that Great Appliance Compliance in the Sky. But I wasn't ready to give her up. I called the GE repairman, their motto is, afterall 'We bring good things to life', she was good, and I needed her desperately back in my life. Fall had just arrived and I needed her to celebrate with me. I needed her for my peach and apple cobblers, my traditional halloween mummy calzone and pumpkin cookies. Not to mention all the upcoming baking associated with Thanksgiving and Christmas!

I made a date with the repairman, my next day off work, which also happened to be the day I had planned to make chocolates with my friend and neighbor Carla. I don't know why the thought of having Carla see my dirty kitchen didn't bother me, but when I realized a complete stranger that I would never see again was coming to inspect my oven, it sent me in full spit and shine mode! Carla and I have raised our kids together, cried together, cooked and sewed together. She knows the intents of my heart, and I hers, so we know not to judge each other based on the layers of grease and grime that find it's way into the corners of the cupboards. But to have a complete stranger see my lack of kitchen cleanliness made the inner domestic goddess in me come alive.

I spent the night before preparing for the grand resurrection. First, I had to prepare the deceased. This included a thorough scrub job, inside the oven, under the burners, and shiny new foils for the drip pans were the final touch. She was beautiful! The rest of the kitchen paled in comparison. I didn't want the man kneeling down on my sticky floors, so out came the mop. One thing led to another, and soon I found the floorboards wiped down, sink scoured, bar and table cleared of clutter, dishes done, rugs vacuumed, and appliances sparkling...

All that work for 10 minutes and $69 later, and all he could do was to pay his respects to the deceased. Apparently ovens have a short lifespan. Mine was old when we moved in so she had exceeded the experts life expectancy. Her body parts couldn't be replaced. No transplant could save her, they've discontinued her kind. (Memorial services to be announced later)

As with most tragedies, one must look for the good amidst the bad. So with a sorrowful heart, I bid farewell to my friend, my baker of buns, my giver of goodies, my tempter of treats and caller of casseroles. You've served me well. I thank you.

Oh well...can't be sad for too long...I'm getting a new oven!
Yahoo!
And my kitchen is really clean too!

5 comments:

Susan said...

Ha ha, I started out thinking you were missing your first born! I'm glad you're getting a new oven! Hubby called me at work to say my dishwasher didn't work. oh dang, we might need to get a new one, but alas, when I got home, it was working. Dang.
Happy Baking!

Charayne said...

Whew! I am glad it was your oven, and not a person. You are sooo funny!!! What a great post. ha ha ha.

Faund Images said...

Oh Linda! I needed a good laugh! AND I need to get motivated to deep clean without having a death in the kitchen!!! You need to blog more often because it always does my little heart good. Love ya!!!

Anonymous said...

mom, i thought you were talking about how much you missed at first... then i came to my senses and realized that you could only feel that love for inadament objects. i love ya. you funny lady. love chelsea

Ruth said...

You are such a good writer. You should have all of your blogs made into a book. Very entertaining reading.
Love you Mom