Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Just a warning...this is not a holly jolly post

I have been neglecting my blog lately. Not because I haven't had anything to say, mostly because I've been avoiding this.

My basement is making me CRAZY! Creative juices just don't flow amid chaos and clutter. I know some people work best in a un-organized, un-structured, un-controlled environment, but I'm not one of those people (although my childhood room would have suggested otherwise, my mom will be happy to know I've outgrown my fear of shag and prefer now to actually see the floor I walk on)


My poor husband is working as hard as his little 50 hour a week job, church meetin', mutual attending, football watchin', softball playin', pipe fixin' hands can go...so I can't really be too upset. It's just that, well, do you know what a inch layer of sheetrock dust can do for ones morale? The dusting alone was about to send me over the edge. I hate dusting.



Obviously I've just given up. I just have to remind myself to keep my eye on the prize, keep a eternal prespective, this too shall pass, opposition in all things, look for the silver lining...blah blah blah. Someone called me a Pollyana the other day because I was able to find the positive in what looked like a dismal situation (Super Saturday craft gone wrong), so I'm trying hard to keep a smiley face and look at the bright side of things. Here's what I came up with:

1) I can more easily locate my husband because his white footprints lead the way.
2) I can feel good about my sons bathroom hygiene because I can see that he washes his hands when he's done by the white dust trail he leaves behind on the bathroom lightswitch, the door, the faucet, and the towel.
3) I can serenade my husband after a long day of sanding sheetrock to the tunes of "Frosty the Snowman"
4) Nothing puts you more in the christmas mood than having that permanent "Jack Frost has been here" look.
5) The forcast in our home looks rather promising for a White Christmas.
6) Someone moved the couch for me, so now I get to vacuum up 6 years worth of breeding dust bunnies.
7) I found my lost silverware, .53 cents in change, my Jane Fonda workout video, and the mystery of the missing yogurt has been solved.
8) My husband's hair is whiter than mine.
9) Can't wash dishes cuz the water is turned off.
10) What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, and makes for good blogging material.

As I may have mentioned before, my goal is to have my husband finish my storage room by Thanksgiving, so I can deck the halls, and my basement too. And just as he was making real progress, he informed me that he would be making a hole in the ceiling to fix the broken pipe that started leaking this past spring. My house smelled like the bottom of a laundry hamper filled with damp towels for months! I cleaned, I fa-breezed, I almost hired a hound dog to sniff out the source. But clever little me figured it out by myself when I took the picture off the wall that hides our pipe fixture and noticed the wet cement behind it. The hot summer sun dried up all the wetness, and the smell eventually went away. Did I mention this happened in the spring? Well, he decided now would be a good time to get to it. Why not? Tear everything up at once. No sense in making a mess twice, just get it all over with. What's another hole in the wall. Thanksgiving is still a week away, plenty of time.



Husband just informed me the pipe was the wrong size. Another setback. Another delay. Only one more weekend before black friday...what's that you said? You have a softball/snowball tournament this weekend?

SLAM!

Did you hear that? Pollyana just stormed out of the room, good-bye.

4 comments:

Susan said...

Oh, you will love it when it's done. Let's just hope it doesn't take the whole 5+ years the basement initially took to finish! And don't fret if Christmas decor isn't set up the day after Thanksgiving. Just leave it up till Valentine's to make up for lost time!

Cindy said...

I can't stand sheet rock dust either... that's why I won't even ask for my storage/laundry room to be sanded so we can paint.

Mom said...

It takes a deadline to get things done. Don't fret if its a little over. At least your getting a very nice storage room. Take a week to decorate your upstairs then it will be done for you to do the downstairs.

Faund Images said...

I loved your list! You always make me laugh when you look at the bright side of things! Your house will be so wonderful when the goal has been met, the dust has been dusted, the husband is off the naughty list... I've NEVER heard of that kind of tournament... softball/snowball? WOW, they are getting creative! :D
All I can say is, you have the patience of Job!!!