Wednesday, March 17, 2010

One year older...and wiser too. Happy Birthday, to you!



March is a busy month for Birthdays. Monday, my sweet husband and I celebrated his 50th birthday. wow, that sounds old, and given the fact that he's been hobbling around on crutches and using a scooter to get around, I would say he's probably finally feeling his age. It's hard to party it up on a monday night when you have to get up at 5:30 the next morning, so we just went to dinner, nothing too exciting. Poor guy, I wanted to do something special for him for his big event, but life has been a little hectic lately and my party planning skills have been on the back burner for awhile. If I win the $10,000,000 from the publishers clearing house that I just entered, I promise I'll make it up to you sweetie. Just remember, "Forty is the old age of youth, Fifty the youth of old age".

Tomorrow is my sister Wendy's birthday. I won't reveal her age, not that 38 is old or anything to be ashamed about, but I know how sensitive some women are about that kind of thing. Not that she looks that old at all. Wendy is such an inspiration to me. She's up at 5 am several times a week, hitting the gym, and she looks great! Wendy has always been such a special sister, in a good type of special way. When she was little she couldn't say my name, so she would call me 'Hingy'. I'm not sure how she got that from Linda, but since I never had a nickname before, I thought it was cute.
Funny story about Wendy, not so long ago she was working at a tuxedo store. One day some groomsmen came in to be fitted for their tuxes. The brides brother was quite flamboyant and didn't hide his particular flare for fashion or taste for, um, anything. He was, let's just say, unforgettable, much to Wendy's demise. A few days later another one came in to be fitted for his tux. It was a few hours afterwards when the brides Mom and Dad came in so the Dad could be fitted for his tux. The Mom wanted to know who had already been there to be fitted, and Wendy told her about the brothers and the young man who had been there earlier that day. The brides mom told Wendy that the gentleman she helped earlier that day was actually going to be the Maid of Honor. He was the brides best friend, and a little light in the loafers, "if you know what I mean". Images of the flamboyant one came rushing into Wendy's mind, and before she could stop herself, the words "You should see the brides brother, he is SO GAY!" came tumbling out. It was like spilling milk. You can see it happening, but can't quite stop it before it's spilt and the damage is done. Even as she was saying the words she realized to whom she was saying them too. You see, the brides brother just happened to be the son of the brides Mom and Dad, who were standing there, stunned! Wendy was mortified, to say the least. If there was a hole available, she would have crawled into it and never come out. But alas, she took full responsibility of her actions, offered a silent prayer that she didn't just 'oust' the brother to his parents, and apologized profousely. They were very kind, they already knew, and in fact agreed that their son was 'so gay'.
Wendy quit that job shortly after. She now works with plumbers and construction workers...manly men, whom she can pretty much say anything too and they don't get offended. I hope they don't offend her either. And if they do, I hope she remembers her little slip of the tongue and cuts them some slack.
Ah Wendy, you make me laugh. Thanks for saying stupid things like me, and not being afraid to share them, so we can laugh at your expense.

Saturday is my Dad's birthday. To be honest, I'm not sure how old he'll be, but it doesn't really matter in his case. He'll always be young at heart. He's like Dick Clark, he just never ages. Although I'm not sure if he'll start hang-gliding soon, the last time he went he had 'A Close Encounter of the Dirt Kind' (old movie reference) meaning, he ate dirt, pushed up by his shoulder, which in turn dislocated, which in turn meant surgery. Don't worry, it hasn't slowed him down, much. He's back on his bike, taking advantage of the warm weather. He's been riding from Bountiful to Kaysville to my sister's house, finishing her basement for her. Several times a week he's up before the crack of dawn to work in the temple. He's a great example to me and I hope he never slows down. That will be a sad day, because that will be the day you become old.

So to my sweet Husband, my dear Dad, and my soul Sister, keep doing what you love! Whether it's playing ball, flying like a bird, or kick-boxing someones hiney, don't ever let anyone tell you it's time to give it up! As Oliver Wendall Holmes put it, "Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing".

Chutes and Ladders anyone?

Happy Birthday! I love you all!

3 comments:

Susan said...

Happy birthday Tary! I remember his surprise party when he turned 30, wow, could it really have been that long ago? The old man props are only temporary; Tary, you look great for a 50 year old!

GGMa said...

The Blog is great as usual. We love to be together with you laughing is such great medicine.

Lor and Shauna said...

Linda, I love reading your blogs! Tell your Dad, Tary, and Wendy all happy birthday for me from one fellow Pices to another! Hope all is going well for you and your family...