Friday, August 27, 2010

My Babies


My baby started Jr. High yesterday. Yeah, it's killing me. I was planning on the millenium to be here by now, so he could avoid the whole jr. high thing. I should have planned a little better and put him in a self defense class instead.




Chelsea and I pulled out Trey's baby book today; (she wanted to see if Paisley resembled her favorite uncle), and the memories came flooding back. There was Chelsea, 10 years old, holding her little brother. Now she holds her own little one. I've said it again, but it's worth repeating:
They grow up way too fast!

But if that's not consolation enough for the 3 am infomercial watching, sleep deprived mom of a newborn, consider this:
School has started. That means, before you know it, it will be time to start thinking about Halloween costumes, and carving pumpkins, and stocking up on candy. And we all know what happens the day after Halloween...Christmas music! But let's not forget Thanksgiving. We'll be so busy scouring over our recipe books, trying to find a new pie for the dessert table, that it will be here before we know it. And we all know what happens the day after Thanksgiving...setting up Christmas! The trees, the lights, the garland...oh think what fun Christmas will be this year with a new little one in our nativity manger! January brings birthdays and anniversary's to look forward too, and then spring will be right around the corner! Easter bunnies, walks in the park, blooming flowers and trees. Summer will follow on it's heels. Wading pools to keep cool, popsicles and fireworks...and then before you know it, she'll be a year old and sleepless nights will be a distant memory.



Whew! See how fast that went.

(Don't you just love the way I snucked (?) sneeked (?) the thought of halloween and christmas into my post just so I could use this awesome picture I took at Tai-Pan, cuz they have all their halloween decorations up and it's getting me trunky and treaty)

When I was a young girl in primary, we had a daddy-daughter date. I think we had dinner (I remember the ice-cream sundaes) and a program. I remember my best friends Lisa and Laurel sat on their dad's knee as he sang this song to them:

Where are you goin' my little one, little one?
Where are you goin' my baby my own?
Turn around and you're two
Turn around and you're four
Turn around and you're a young girl
Going out the door
Chorus: Turn around, Turn around, Turn around and you're a young girl
Going out of the door
Where are you goin' my little one, little one?
Little dirndles and petticoats, where have you gone?
Turn around and you're tiny
Turn around and you're grown
Turn around and you're a young wife
With babes of your own

Chorus: Turn around, Turn around, Turn around and you're a young wife
with babes of your own.
Where are you goin' my little one, little one?
Where are you goin' my baby my own?



By the end of the song, all of the Dad's were in tears. Back then, I didn't understand. I just knew my Dad cried alot. I figured it was a Dad thing.
Now I understand. And it's not just a Dad thing, it's a parent thing. (sniff sniff)
My babies are not babies anymore. Their grown, going off to jr high, and college, and having babies of their own.

Turn around Trey, turn around...come sit on my lap one more time. Come sing the Barney song one last time..."I love you, you love me..." come give me sticky kisses and wrap your dirty hands around my neck...let me read you a story one more time, "I'll love you forever, I'll like you for always, as long as I'm living, my baby you'll be"...let me wipe away the tears one more time while you ask me what's wrong.




Nothing's wrong baby, it's just the way life is.
Where are you goin' my baby, my own.

5 comments:

Cindy said...

I can't believe how fast time flies at our house, too! Loved the post- I would be wiping tears too, but I am at work and had to choke them back.

Susan said...

Awwww. . . nice way to start my morning! *sniff, sniff*

Faund Images said...

Ok... I getting ready to leave and now I have red eyes and a stuffy nose. Way to put the way I feel so well... Two more of my children getting married. All the emotions are so close to the surface. They do grow up too fast and I really don't like it!

Thanks again for coming to the shower! It was a blast... only regret is I didn't get a picture with all of us... your girls, mine. Darn. But it was fun!

Makell Wintle said...

Tender. Good luck in Jr. High trey!

GGMa said...

I had to go get a Kleenex before I could write this comment. I loved the pictures and the words. How true they are. Just love and hold them while you still can. Time fly's by so fast, as you get older you notice it more. Love you all.