Thursday, May 26, 2011

Regrets



"Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable." ~ Sydney Smith


I've been in a state of regret lately, regrettably.


I'm not talking about the regret that comes after I've eaten half a pan of brownies, or the regret that comes from turning down a brownie; although both are legitimate regrets. The regret I've been feeling lately comes from my own lack of sponteniety of opportunities presented.


Several weeks ago, my sweet sister calls me up to tell me that Donny Osmond was coming to the Centerville Walmart the next day to promote his new CD and sign autographs. She knows I love Donny (but not as much as Michael) (or my husband) and wanted to let me know in case I hadn't heard the exciting news. A few hours later, my sweet daughter called to tell me the same thing! Now anyone in their right frame of fun mind would have jumped at the opportunity, grabbed their lawn chair and sleeping bag, and camped out all night to get up close and personal with the big D. (I haven't been in the right frame of mind since Oprah announced her retirement). So naturally, I thought of all the reasons I shouldn't go, instead of just going.




  • Trey has a ball game, and I don't want to miss it because I don't want him to think Donny is more importnat than he is.


  • I would probably have to be in line by 8 in the morning if I want to see him, cause I just know swarms of Donny fans will be lining up at the crack of dawn.


  • Centerville is 30 minutes away. Should I really be spending my gas money and time just to maybe get to see him?

In the end, Ms. Responsibly Boring won the war. I went to Trey's game instead. I can't even remember if his team won.


The next day was Mothers Day. We all met at my Mom's for dinner, and guess what the discussion around the dinner table was? My cousin (the same one who just recently had her first booked published, another one of my regrets) spontaneously decided to go to Walmart, and she just happens to live in Centerville, walks in with her little girl and lo and behold, see's Donny...and guess what? No long lines wrapping around the store. She now has a video of her little girl singing a song...with, you guessed it, Donny! UGH! That could have been me. I could have sung a duet with Donny. I often pretend I'm Marie and sing a little bit country, while he sings a little bit rock-n-roll, so I'm well prepared to take on a little puppy love with him.


Fortunately, Kayla bought me Donny & Marie's new CD for Mothers Day. Unfortunately it is not a autographed copy.


Okay, that was the beginning of May, my Month of Regrets. Regret no. 2: For months now, I've been looking at all my fun blogs, V & Co., Cluck Cluck Sew, Diary of a Quilter...etc, and all the blog talk has been about the big Quilters Market that was going to be hosted in Salt Lake this year. This is a pretty big deal, and I remember looking at pictures on their blogs last year about it, I think it was in Las Vegas...so I knew what a big deal it was. Suddenly, all my blogs were talking about how wonderful it was, and posting pictures about it...what the crap! Did I miss it?!

(picture of Vanessa and Cluck Cluck Sew blogger. Notice, I am not in the picture. Picture used without permission of Cluck Cluck Sew. Hoping she'll have pity on me and won't mind)


How did I not go? Why didn't I know when it was? Again, I have no one to blame my lack of spontaneous funness on, except my boring ol' self. I don't even know why I didn't think to click on their little side buttons that said in big bright letters "Quilters Market" and check out the details. Did I think because I wasn't a quilter blogger that I couldn't go? Was I waiting for a personal invitation? No excuses this time, I just don't know why I didn't. All I know is that all I'm left with is more regret.


So, I thought I might have found a way to redeem myself. I noticed another button on their blogs, that said "Sewing Summit", and just for kicks I clicked on it. Guess what? They're coming back! All my favorite bloggers, including Vanessa, are going to be teaching classes at the Sewing Summit in October at The Little America is Salt Lake! All is not lost...I have been given a second chance at life. So I start digging a little deeper, looked at all the fun instructors who would be there, looked at the dates and schedule, then I clicked on the button to register...and all spontenaiety left in me flew out the window. $275. For that much money I could make 4 quilts on my own.


Regrettably, I did not register. I'll probably regret that later too. (heavy sigh)

2 comments:

Susan said...

I wonder . . . now that you're BFF's with V if she'd put together a private quilt show for you with all her blogging buddies? It's worth asking her :)

Sorry you missed Donny, I'm sure Trey really loved having you at his game :) You're a good mom

GGma said...

Sorry you missed Donnie. But then you would probably regretted being there instead of at Treys game. I think you made the right choice. And you are right you could make alot of quilts for that amount of $ and you don't need them to show you how to put a quilt together. I think you are just sensible and don't have regrets for that.