Sunday, July 24, 2011

Dear Paisley




I'm going to carry on a tradition that started 22 years ago when Chelsea turned 1 years old. She was the first grandchild in my family, and her dear grandma, (my mom) wrote her a sweet letter expressing her love to her. Since none of my other kids received the same letter when they turned 1, I can assume Chelsea was the only recepient of such a letter. I think I can keep that type of tradition, the one that only happens once. I realize I'm a few days early, but this grandma is busy and won't have a single minute to spare on tuesday to sit down and write a letter. So here's a little early birthday present.



Dear Paisley,



I like to imagine that a year ago as your mom was making preparations to give birth to you, you were preparing as well. I can imagine you, sitting at the feet of our Heavenly parents, receiving final instructions about your life here on earth. I'm sure you were anxious and excited to begin your long awaited journey to come to earth to finally receive a body and be with your mother and father who were just as excited and anxious as you.



I'd like to think you were forwarned about the evil conditions that exist in the world, but were given hope when you were told how you were one of the strong and valiant ones; saved for this day because you are able to overcome the temptations and be a force for good in the world. I'm sure you were told that you were coming down to live with goodly parents; a mother and a father who were righteous and would teach you everything you needed to know to return again to His presence someday. I'm sure there were hugs and well wishes by your younger siblings as they watched you pave the way for them.



And then, the miracle we had all been waiting for happened. On July 26th, you were born and I became a Grandma! What a blessing you have been in my life! Being a grandma means I can feed you chocolate ice-cream, and not care that the sugar will keep you up all night. It means when you come over while your mom and dad are at work, I can play with you and take you on outings, because I know I can always get the housework done after you've left. Being a grandma means I don't have to discipline, or put on my angry face, or tell you 'no'. Being a grandma means I can take you to the library and check out childrens books again, oh how i've missed reading them. It means I can go to the park, or sit in the kiddy pool. It means I can blow bubbles, and shop at Carter's.



But do you know what being a Grandma means the most to me Paisley? It means that the love I felt for your mother, is the same love I feel for you. It is the strongest, most protective and pure love anyone can feel. It's not the same love I feel for grandpa, or my friends or siblings, or even my own parents; it's a special love reserved for our children, and yes, our grandchildren too. I'm so happy to know it's the same kind of love. It's one that you won't understand until you have a baby of your own someday. And when that day comes, and I'm sure it will come all too soon, I hope you will remember the love you feel, is how much you were, and still are loved, by me.



Love,

Grandma



P.S. to your mother Chelsea...the tradition has now been handed down to you. I wonder how we'll be writing letters 22 years from now?




3 comments:

Susan said...

So sweet. What an angel she is; Happy birthday Paisley!

Oh, and Mom, when you read this - Why did you stop writing letters with just Chelsea?

Faund Images said...

Well that brought tears to my eyes... what a sweet tradition. How lucky she is to have a "writer" for a grandma! Beautifully written... as everything is.
Love you much...

GGMa said...

I guess its' not to late to get those letters to the rest of my wonderful grandchildren. I sure did forget I did that. You are so right on the wonderful love you have for your children and grandchildren and now Great Grandchildren. What a cute picture. What a good baby camping didn't even up set her.