Thursday, November 10, 2011

Whose your grandma





Vanessa from V & Co. turned 36 years old today! I only know that because she posted it on her blog, not because we're such good friends that I know when her birthday is and have been invited to celebrate the day with her. But one can always wish. Anywho, she was lamenting the fact that she's over the 30-something hump and getting old.



I know how she feels. I'm teetering on the 40-something hump and although most days I don't feel old, my looks don't reflect the way I feel. That's depressing. It's hard coming out of denial. I suppose it's like coming out of a coma. One day you wake up and say..."how did I get here?"



I woke this morning
My back was sore,
I rolled out of bed
It was quite the chore.



Then to the bathroom
To do my thing,
Stripped off my clothes,
Gave them a fling.



Stepped on the scale
To check my weight;
Afraid to look down
The truth I can’t take.



I weigh as much now
As I did back when
I was nine months pregnant
With Chelsea Breann.



The sad thing is,
I look it too;
My belly pokes out
Like I’m 5 months due.



I step in the shower
To wash my hair,
Leave a clump in the drain,
More than should be there.



Then to the mirror
I cautiously peek;
I see the wrinkles
Start to creep.



They start at the corners
Of my baggy eyes
And stretch down my face
That I start to despise.



I see a few hairs
That look out of place;
They’re not on my head,
They’re on my face.



I would be proud
Of the moustache I’ve got,
If I were sixteen
And my name was Scott.



The fuzz on my chin
Turns thick as it grows;
At least it matches
All the hair in my nose.



Oh don’t you worry
I’m not sasquatch yet,
My eyebrows are thinning
The older I get.



And the hair on my head

that I keep there with spray;
what doesn’t fall out
simply turns to gray.



And just when I think
I’m looking too old,
A pimple appears
For all to behold.



I turn to my closet
To get myself dressed,
Nothing fits anymore,
I’m further depressed.



My wardrobe has changed
From short sleeves and skirts
To mid calf capris
And long flowing shirts.



I use them to hide
My flabby body;
And if I fail to wave back,
I’m not being snotty.



Just trying to keep
The arm fat from flapping;
But what do you do
‘bout rubbing thighs chapping?

I sit down for breakfast,
To a big bowl of bran;
Make sure I’m still living,
Give the obit’s a quick scan.



My eyes turn fuzzy
As I start to read.
I wear bifocals now,
Had to finally concede.



Then I go to work
In my yellow sports car.
It’s the cure for my crisis,
But not working so far.



I get a few glances
From curious guys,
Through my tinted windows
I see hopeful eyes.

They must think a hottie
Would drive such a thing,
As they hope to invoke
A flirtatious fling.

I can see their faces
As they slowly inch
To get a close look,
Then suddenly flinch.



I make it to work
My humility intact;
I’m the oldest one there,
It’s a depressing fact.



I’m technology challenged,
Just ask my kids;
“Do what in Excel?”
Oh, heaven forbid.



i-pads and blackberries,
i-phones and kindle;
i-pod and apps,
my confidence dwindles.



I barely just learned
How to send a text;
The message, however,
leaves even me perplexed.



Reality sucks.
I’m not young anymore.
I stopped feeling perky
And now I’m just sore.



My hair’s gray, my eyes bad,
I’ve got middle age spread;
I’m sagging and dragging
My tired self to bed.



But then my grandbaby
Comes over to play;
And I’m young again,
Hip-hip-hooray!

And even after we
Play on the floor,
And I can’t get up
Cuz my body’s sore.

I still wouldn’t go back
To the age of my prime,
Cuz I wouldn’t be a grandma
And that would be a crime.



3 comments:

GGMa said...

That was so cute. I loved it and you don't look like a grandma yet so just enjoy the moment. Soon you will be the GGgrandma and feel all that twice as much.

Susan said...

oh linda, you still look too young to be a Grandma!

Rob'n'Mon said...

Such a young and hip Granny! What a darling picture with you and Paisley!!! She's getting SO big! :)