Thursday, January 8, 2009

Faun'd Memories...

A couple of years ago when my Dad was retiring, we wanted to make a video documenting his life. When my brother Gerry asked his son Michael what his favorite memory of Grandpa was, after a pause, Michael asked, "Why, is he dead?"
I'm happy to report that like my father, Faun is still with us, but her birthday causes me to reflect on the impact her life has had on mine and the great memories we share. Come along with me while I take a sentimental journey.
For those of you who don't know, Faun is my cousin and 2 years OLDER than me, (sorry, had to rub that in) but she never treated me like the little nuisance that I was, although I tagged along with her and my sister Ronalee everytime we went to visit Grandpa and cousins in my Mom's old homestead in Lyman. Although I loved my Grandpa dearly, for me it was always, "We're going to Faun's house" when we packed up the old station wagon the day after school let out for summer vacation and headed down for Memorial Day. You wouldn't think a small town that didn't even have a McDonalds would have so much to offer, but the great outdoors was our playground. We were always finding or creating fun things to do. Some of my fondest childhood memories were the times I spent with Faun.
Picking dandelions and playing 'mommy had a baby and the head popped off', then spending the rest of the day laying down with a wet washrag over my eyes cuz they were swollen shut. Apparently I'm allergic to dandelions, but that didn't stop me every year from doing it again. I remember building forts in the hay, then spending the rest of the day with a wet washrag over my eyes, cuz apparently I'm allergic to hay too. I have alot of fond memories...me, Faun, and my washrag.
I remember going down the canal on intertubes, hunting for arrowheads in the hills, walking to the little store to buy penny candy! That was a big deal for this city girl who had to walk 2 miles down a big hill to reach the nearest 7-11. On rainy or cold days, you could find us inside playing ROOK with Aunt Owena or Faun's older sister Charmaine, we could play that game for hours! Or we would play 'hit-the-target' with a pair of socks and shampoo bottles lined up at the end of the rug, or doing gymnastic tricks in the living room. It didn't take much to make us happy, we were just happy to be together.
Here's a little fact you might not have known about Faun, she sleepwalks. One morning we woke up to find my shirt that WAS laying on the floor next to where I was sleeping, on Faun. I'll never forget seeing my favorite red and blue rugby shirt on Faun. It was on upside down, twisted, and contorted so badly I don't know how she didn't lose circulation in her arms. As I recall, it was on her body in such a weird way we had to cut it to get it off of her. Funny, funny Faun. She was, and still is, always making me laugh. I can't count all the hours of lost sleep, staying up late at night, telling scary stories, or giggling the night away.

We've grown up together, been there for each others weddings, we've been pregnant together, we've laughed together, cried together, and even though the miles and our busy lives separated us for awhile, fate was kind and brought us back together for a season. And since we've reconnected, we've come full circle again. Faun lives once more in the same little town she grew up in, and the trip that used to seem to take forever when I was a kid (4 hours) I can now make in 3, but the flutter in my stomach is still there as I turn the final bend in the road, and descend upon the beautiful valley that is my second home. The place I can go to and revert back to my childhood. And although their little country store doesn't sell penny candy anymore, and Grandpa's house has been torn down, nothing much has changed. Faun and I still stay up too late talking and laughing, we still like to roam the hills, usually with camera in hand and kids in tow. We still act like giddy school girls when we get together, while our husbands just roll their eyes and wish (we know you do) that they had a relationship like ours. Someone you can call and cry too when a favorite character in your book has just been killed off, someone who appreciates a great bargain and isn't afraid to brag about $5 shoes. Someone who can relate to mood swings, and weight swings. Someone who brings out the best in you but loves you even when your not.
Yes, everyone should have a little Faun in their lives. And if your fortunate to know her, I'm sure you'll agree, she brightens up her little corner of the earth. Her goodness and laughter spreading to those around her, like sunbeams breaking through the clouds. You just can't help but smile back and be grateful to be touched by her warmth. Love ya Faun! Happy Birthday!

3 comments:

Susan said...

What a great tribute! I can attest that Faun is a wonderful cousin. It was so fun to get to know her better those years that she came on our sister trips with us. She is so funny and so much fun to be around.

It was great to read your memories about Lyman. Grandpa's town holds a piece of my heart too. I love it down there. I will always remember my first taste of jelly belly's was in Grandpa's house, you brought them. I thought it was so cool how real that watermelon jelly bean tasted!

Faund Images said...

Oh my goodness! That is the sweetest thing in the world! Those pictures are too funny! OK, you made me cry and cry taking me through memory lane. I've also made an executive decision... you are speaking at my funeral! You said such nice things, just hang on to that for my funeral! (You make me look better than I really am!) I simply love you with all my heart. Thanks for making my birthday so special.

Makell Wintle said...

Linda,
That was awesome. I haven't seen many pictures of my mom when she was little, so whenever I do it's quite the treat. Thanks for that. You hit the nail on the head when you said everyone who knows her loves her. She is a wonderful lady. Thanks for being such a great cousin and friend to her. I'm glad you have a blog, you are officially on my blog list. Have a great day!