Friday, February 20, 2009

The Interview...

So...
(don't know why that's blue, but I can't get rid of it) I had a job interview today. Just a different position, not a new company. I love my job, but a opening for a teller trainer became available, and I probably shouldn't be telling you this cuz I just jinxed myself, but I put in for it. I had to do a training on one of our core values, I chose "Enthusiasm" cuz it's so darn fun. I had a great example and story to open it up with, a good middle, but near the end, as I was giving my presentation, I realized I hadn't really thought of a solid way to end it. So, while I was talking a little bit in circles and trying to tie it all together, in the back of my mind I was thinking, "Please don't end it 'in the name of ........Amen' cuz that's what happened to a friend of mine after she finished her speech for Student Body President in FRONT of the WHOLE SCHOOL! And you know how you laugh and think, 'That is SO embarrasing, I hope that never happens to me', and suddenly you find yourself trying to avoid the very situation by thinking too hard about not doing it, but now that's the only thing on your mind!
Kinda reminded me of the traffic reporter for one of the radio stations, she was blurting off the slow spots and where to avoid, rushing to get it all in before the commercial cut her off, and suddenly she was 'thanking Him for the nice day' and 'for all her blessings'...in the name of .......
Amen. Poor thing, and I thought the whole school was bad. Her blooper went out to every email and played on every radio station in the state! There's not a rock big enough to hide behind sometimes.
And then there's my sister Wendy, who put her hand on her heart to lead the pledge of allegiance, and started to offer a prayer! Now that's funny!
So, anyway, I managed to end my presentation without bringing religion into it. Then it was off to the interview. Have you ever had a stupor of thought, and then hours later the perfect answer or comment popped into your head, when it's too late! Well, that's what happened to me.
Question: What stresses you out and how do you handle it?
Answer: Hmmm, well, nothing really. I'm pretty easy going, nothing really get's to me. I mean, I've been really busy this week, planning a presentation with a days notice, getting a lesson ready for RS this sunday, buying all the food and getting ready for the Blue and Gold Banquet tuesday, but that doesn't stress me out. My hair always falls out in clumps, it's just the weather.

What I should have said: Trying to get my teenage daughter who is going to graduate soon, to get those applications for scholarships in before the last day their due! That stresses me out.

Trying not to cry in movies stresses me out! If I have to come out of the theater with a red splotchy face, it's not a pretty sight, besides I get funny looks. It's even more stressful if I didn't know the show was going to be sad, (to be honest here, it doesn't need to be sad to make me cry)
and I don't have a single kleenex in my purse. Then I walk out of the show with a scary face and a snotty sleeve. Now that's stressful.

Getting on the freeway and feeling a little gurgle in your stomach. Knowing that it's 30 minutes till you get to the privacy of your own bathroom, not daring to stop, afraid something ugly will happen if you don't. Now that's stressful!

Conducting or teaching Relief Society or Primary, (oh yeah, it's happened in both) and trying to call on the name of the sister who has her hand raised, but can't remember her name! She's lived in the ward as long as you have, it's even worse when you were once her visting teacher, and you just give her a blank stare, hoping her name will somehow appear on her forehead. (again, I think I just jinxed myself for sunday) Now that's stressful.

Oh, how I wish I could have had the perfect answer at the perfect time. But interviews are stressful, (hey, I could have used that one too) and answers don't usually come when and how we want. I guess we just do the best we can with what we have.

And I say these things ...

Woops, I mean...The End!

5 comments:

Susan said...

I guess I can't wish you good luck on the job now that the interview is over, but I'm sure you did great. They obviously love you, who wouldn't?
Amen.

Faund Images said...

Oh my gosh, you make me laugh so hard! Everyone needs a little "Linda" and her thoughts in their lives... you make me happy!
Our family was seated ready to say the prayer on the food and the phone rang... I answered it "Dear Heavenly Father" and it just so happened to be the bishop on the other end! We all have a story... Amen.

Anthony Simister said...

Totally funny. I think that everyone can relate too!!! I know I can for sure on a couple of things anyway. As for the weather I am only taking partial responsibility! Who knew. Sorry for the snow. You're too cute, glad that you blog!!!

Charayne said...

oops, sorry this is really Charayne

linda said...

Whew, glad you corrected that last one. Didn't know what to think about Anthony calling me 'too cute'