Tuesday, August 11, 2009

It's just around the corner...



It's August, and you know what that means...time to get ready for Christmas! Now before you start rolling your eyes, take a trip to your local craft store and you'll know I'm not the only elf out there. Hobby Lobby is a full blown winter wonderland, their halls are decked with boughs of holly...fa la la, and at least one of you expressed sadness that my last blog about Rudolph didn't actually consist of our beloved furry friend. So, wait no longer my fellow crafters, the time for merri-ment has arrived! I'll be attempting once more, to finish my wall quilt I started 2 years ago. All that's left is the button-hole stitching around my appliques, but that's the hardest part, which is why it's taken me so long to finish the dang thing! But my motto is: "If you blog it, it will get done" Speaking of getting things done, last year about this same time, I started to clean out the storage room so I could get to my Christmas decorations. This year, Tary is building a wall between our storage and laundry room so we can have shelves and make it all official looking. So, out came all the cans, buckets, and jars so he could have room. Just one problem with that, it's now all over my family room, only 4 more months till the tree comes out of hiding, and guess what this weekend is? I'm sure all you Lymanites know... its the start of the elk archery hunt. And when I say the start, that's what I mean, just the start. Next comes the rifle, the muzzle loader, the deer hunt, in which order I'm not sure, I just know that my husband goes a.w.o.l. on me until mid-november. He doesn't even notice me unless I'm wearing florescent orange. He drew out on something big after 30 years of putting in for it, so he's like a little kid on Christmas Eve, he's so excited for it he can hardly sleep at night just thinking about what he's gonna get!

Do you see my dilema? Only 15 more saturdays until I start decking my halls, that's only 135 more shopping days, and 9 more paydays till the 'Big Guy' leaves his loot. But don't let my problems put a damper on the season...get out those stockings you've been meaning to finish 2 children ago, start making that Christmas countdown now, start making the centers for your dipped chocolates. You can never start too soon. Once the kids go back to school in a few weeks, you know what will happen...before you know it you'll be scavanging the house for a Halloween costume, then it will be time to bake pies for Thanksgiving, and the next day, THE DAY, well, by then it will all be too late. So I say, good for you Hobby Lobby! Finally someone who appreciates and knows the meaning of "Christmas in July". It's not about rushing the season or wishing away summer, it's about being prepared so that when the time comes you don't have to feel stressed and you can just enjoy the blessings of your labor. Hmm, sounds like a good lesson on food storage...

go figure.

4 comments:

Faund Images said...

Yes, we Lymanites DO GET IT! I just wish we were closer so we could make good use of the time the hubbies have gone a.w.o.l. doing crafts TOGETHER! So, this is your invite... come on down! MaKell would most likely want to join in too!

Susan said...

wow, not as if I didn't have a list of to-do's long enough already, now I have to worry about Christmas!? But thanks for the reminder, If I don't hurry I'll have one little boy without a stocking! Good luck on your wall hanging and your wall. Sounds like Tary knows just how to plan his projects!

Lauren said...

really linda?! your thinking christmas when there are still flowers outside?? haha well it is your holiday that is for sure!

Mom said...

Sure wish I could express my thoughts like you do. You have such a great talent in your writing. You have always made me laugh, its so fun to find new things on your blog. Maybe you can hang your wall quilts over your food storage this year for christmas.
Love you Mom..