Friday, February 5, 2010

It's a Girl!

Isn't she beautiful! And look, she's waving to us! She must have known proud Grandma would post this on her blog, what a ham. If the dainty fingers don't have you convinced, take a look at this!Yup, looks like it's not a boy to me!
We're thrilled! (as in Chelsea and I) Trey, who has always wanted a little brother, was a little disappointed, and Joe was happy either way. Not that a boy would have been a bad thing, I love my little man, every mom should have a momma's boy, but let's face it, girls are much funner to shop for. I can't wait to buy all the cute girly things that weren't invented when my girls where little...the cute head bands with the big flowers on them. Crocheted beanies (with the big flowers on them), and having Faun taking her picture, laying on (you guessed it) a big flower!
(p.s. click on the bright yellow 'big flower' to see what I mean, she's adorable!)
Everyone keeps telling me how wonderful it is to be a Grandma. How much more you enjoy them knowing they won't be keeping you up at night. Being able to laugh through the terrible two's and reassuring my daughter that she was just like that when she was a little girl. For me, it's like a Do-Over.

I have often wished I could go back and do things differently. Not everything, but some things. I guess I always thought I would have more time to teach them the things I wanted my girls to know. When they were little they had the desire, but I didn't always have the patience or the time to teach them, as they got older they didn't have the patience or the desire to learn. Now that they're old enough, they have the patience, some desire, but not always the time. But over the years I've gained a few things, and I'm not talking about pounds, wrinkles and gray hair. I'm talking about maturity and wisdom. I hope I'll be a better Grandma than I was a Mom.

"Top 10 things I'll do better as a Grandma"

10.
Teach her how to bake cookies and brownies from scratch, not being afraid of the mess it will make and how they will taste.
9. Teach her to love the feel of warm sudsy water and good conversation as she washes dishes, convincing her it's a mini-spa treatment for her hands.
8. Letting her rumage through my fabric piles and not cringing when she cuts up my good stuff for her barbie's clothes.
7. Letting her play with my hair and practice applying make-up on me, even if we have somewhere to go afterwards.
6. Looking her in the eyes as she tells me her stories, even the ones that feel like they'll never end.
5. Spending warm days at the park, feeding ducks and playing on the swings, not worrying about hurrying home to clean the house, do the laundry, or make dinner.
4. Taking her to the pool on hot summer days to splash around, not worrying about how I look in my bathing suit; afterall, Grandma's are suppossed to be chubby.
3. Buying her ice-cream cones from the ice-cream truck, even if they are too expensive and it will probably spoil her dinner.
2. Teach her to twirl around the kitchen floor and sing to her hearts content, not caring who sees you or what they might think.
and the no. 1 thing I'll do better as a Grandma will be...
1. Don't sweat the small stuff! p.s. everything is small stuff.

And we all know that the best things come in small packages!
( so far mine is 5 inches long )

5 comments:

Makell Wintle said...

Yay!! That is so exciting, tell chels congrats for me. Do they have names yet?

Susan said...

I was going to give you a hard time about being able to tell the sex so early, but you're right, it's hard to argue that's not a girl! And thank you Linda, through your regrets and ability to already "look back" hopefully I can still take the time to be that kind of mom to my little kids before I have grandkids. But, joking aside, I'm sure you were and are still a wonderful mom, full of smiles, laughs, dances in the kitchen, and sliding them around the kitchen floor. That's what I remember about you, about being your little sister. This comment is way long, but in short, congrats to you and Chelsea! I'm so very excited to be a great great-aunt!

Faund Images said...

OK! So excited to put that beautiful baby girl on a flower!!! Let's start planning!
YOU ARE THE BEST MOM EVER! I loved your list, your insights... you're amazing. You will be an incredible grandma. Congrats once again!

GGma said...

Wow! Grandma is my name. That's going to take some getting use to. Little girls are a great way to start a family. They make great baby sitters to the other children and a big help for mom. I'm excited to be a gg grandma. But I'm trying hard not to go do the grandma thing. As I was at the fabric store and looking at cute fabric this is grandma's job not mine!

Charayne said...

Awwww, you are just going to be an amazing grandma. You remind me of my mom. :) Can't wait to see her. You'll have to post pics of her when you get them. BTW, how can I get more information about the Faund Photography????