Saturday, January 30, 2010

What? I'm right?

I'm sorry, I just have to rub this in a little bit.

But before I do, if my kids are reading this...close your eyes for a second.
(you see, I have them tricked into thinking that Mom is All-Knowing)

Here's the rub...I was right about something, and Tary didn't listen to me, and now he's paying for it, big time! I know the woman is supposed to always be right, but somehow neither one of us read that manual, so he's the one in our relationship who took it upon himself to always be right. And I'm ok with that, really. He's like my own personal Google. If I don't know something, I can go to him and he usually knows the answer. Tary is, in my opinion, really smart. I'm not just saying that because it would reflect poorly on me if I said that I married a dumb person. He has said that his smartest decision was to marry me, and I wouldn't be inclined to disagree, afterall, he's always right. I'm not being being sarcastic either, if I was I would have used the italic key when I said he was always right.
Does it ever get annoying that he's right all the time? I must admit it has it's downside, especially when I really think I'm gonna win the argument. Sometimes I'm stubborn and won't concede that he's right, but eventually I realize, for example, that "Devasted" isn't really a word, that my tires on my little car are meant to be little, and over-inflating them will (and did) result in a blow-out, and that W-2 forms are not junk mail and should not be thrown away before April 15th, even if that means sitting out on the counter for 3 months.

Tary can figure out the endings to movies before they happen, knows the group name from every song that comes on the radio station, including the year it became a hit, and while watching a sporting event on TV, he can yell out the foul or penalty and the person who committed it even before the commentators can, and he's always right!

But I still try darnit. I'm still trying to convince him that having a TV in the bedroom is not a good thing, that washing the dishes for me is a good thing, and that sweeping me off my feet with a broom is just as effective as a dozen roses.

So, when I warned him last saturday night, that he should not play church basketball, did he listen to me? When I told him they would be gunning for him, and reminded him how this team beats him up did he listen to me? When I suggested he would be better off staying home and watching BYU play basketball instead, did he listen to me? (have I rubbed it in enough yet?)

OK kids, you can open your eyes now...

I WAS RIGHT!

When I had to take him to the emergency room that night because he couldn't walk and could hardly stand the pain, the doctor asked what happened to him, his reply..."I didn't listen to my wife". That's right buddy! The one time you should have listened to me, because that was the one time I was RIGHT! You missed it! I might not be right again for another 25 years and you blew it! But no, you had to go and get stepped on by a big samoan guy and blow your achilles tendon, and had to go and get surgery, and now you'll be on crutches and using a scooter for the next 3 months while your wearing a cast, and going through rehab for another 6 months, and won't be able to play ball this spring. And it's just a good thing I wasn't right about how we should take a cruise for our 25th anniversary, because we wouldn't be going had I been right about that...so see! The one thing I was right about...

Of course, had you listened to me and stayed home, we never would have known what would have happened to you, and we never would have known that I was right. Hmmm, maybe this wasn't such a bad thing afterall...

...and that right there, my friends, is why I am the one who is never right.

5 comments:

Rob'n'Mon said...

That's awesome, Linda! Good for you!!! (not so good for him...hope he heals quickly)

Faund Images said...

Oh so glad you were right about something... but then again, I think you're right about a LOT of things! What do I know? I'm never right either... Tell Tary I'm so sorry about his predicament! That just sucks BIG TIME! Poor guy... Poor you... It will probably be the longest six months of the family's LIFE!!!

Cindy said...

Oh, that brings back memories. Paul's last words to me before his leg looked like Tary's was, "I'm not even going to play. I am just coaching." Yea, right. Good luck with the healing and physical therapy.

Charayne said...

You are seriously so funny! I hope that he gets feeling better. Please let me know if I can help out. So nice that you were right....but too bad he didn't listen this time. I guess you'll get another shot in about 20 years. :)

GGMom said...

Sorry for Tary. Sorry for you since you will be affected by this injury also. Tary sounds like your dad who is always right also. It really does get to you I know. Then when you are right they don't even acknowledge it on most things. Except he is wishing he had listened to you this time. But don't be surprised if it doesn't stick. He will still do what ever he wants to. Just like your Dad at 71 soon will be back in the air on his hanglider after taking 5 months to get over the last flight and his bad landing.