Sunday, January 10, 2010

Another 'Faun' Birthday


My posts are getting harder to write now that I'm in my second year of blogging. I've used up all my blogging juices, I have reached my peak of posting and feel like I'm on the downhill slope. Take this post for example...Faun's birthday. What can I say this year that I didn't say in last years post. I'm stumped. Although I mainly focused on stories from the Faun of my youth, the stories from the Faun of my now are stored somewhere in-between the files of my mind that also require me to remember everything I need to know for work, my church calling, my motherhood memories, calendar items, dentist appointments, visiting teaching, parent teacher conferences, staff meetings..the list goes on. What I'm trying to get at here, is that most of the time my little brain is overstuffed with, well...stuff. I have a hard time remembering certain things that should be important, but somehow don't get filed in that folder of my brain that says "IMPORTANT...do not forget!" For instance, things like the punchlines to jokes...I only have one joke stored in my brain...one. Yeah, I'm really fun at parties. Books...I have to look at the cover of the book to see if I've read it by recognizing the picture, even then sometimes I get halfway through a book before I realize it sounds vagely familiar. So everytime Faun calls me up and says "Did I tell you about..." I always say, "I'm not sure, tell me again..." it's not because I didn't love her story the first time, it's because I suffer from short term memory. It's true, ask my husband or kids. If I forget to buy something for them at the store and they complain to me, I say, "Have you told me 10 times yet? If not, don't blame me", yeah, it takes that many times of hearing something before it starts to stick.
So, my point is...where was I going with this? Oh yeah, I've been trying to think of a funny Faun story to share on her birthday. Today is Fauns birthday. I do remember that. Do I remember all the late nights staying up laughing till we cry? Yes. Do I remember what we were laughing about? No. But one story does stick out in my mind...probably because I painted a mental picture of what happened while she was telling me, and it's not something that one forgets too easily. I hope she doesn't mind if I share this funny story with you.

Not too long ago, on a Sunday much like today, Faun was sitting with her little primary class during singing time. The music director, to encourage her little congregation to sing loudly, brought an incentive to those who showed musical promise. Little dots...measles, she called them, to put on one of the teachers...dot them up, if you will. All the little children agreed Faun should be the teacher they spread the 'musical measles' too. So Faun got to sit at the front of the room while the children sang their songs. Being the good little patient, she suffered through dots being placed on her face, and in her hair while the kids laughed at her funny new 'spotted' look. Things were going quite well, the kids were having a good time 'dotting' her up, while they were singing loud and proud. But kids can be quite unpredictable, and it seems like there's always one in every group that has to stir up trouble, usually the Bishop's kid, and in this case it was no exception. A little boy was chosen to come up and place his measles on Faun, and much to Fauns dismay, and the embarrasement of every male teacher in the room, Faun ended up, not with measles on her chest, but something that resembled 'pasties', placed stratigically on the bulls-eye (if you know what I mean). Two little dots, that started out innocently enough, were now the cause of blushing, eye-averting and snickering throughout the primary room. Poor Faun, what could she do? She was a good sport about it, and although her dress ended up a little stretched out in certain places from trying to subtlely rearrange the position of the dots by pulling and tugging, she kept her dignity and her virtue, and has since been able to laugh it off.
As of yet, I haven't heard whether the 2nd counselor in the bishopric has been able to look her in the eye, and as far as I know, the primary chorister has retired the 'musical measles', a cure has been found and they haven't been seen since. It's a miracle really.

Faun, you still make me laugh! Let's keep it up for the next forty-something years!
Happy Birthday! Love you!

3 comments:

Susan said...

glad to know I'm not the only one that feels blogging gets harder as the year turns over! What a great story. I was holding Gav as I was reading and every time I laughed, he laughed, it made it even more hilarious!

Faund Images said...

Oh... man, that made me laugh all over again! A primary day that will remain vivid in my memory forever!
Thank you for the long talks, laughs, shopping sprees and forever friendship... You are simply the BEST! Thanks for the birthday wish.

GGma said...

Its so fun to see another blog to read. They are so entertaining. The only reason I turn on my computer. Loved it.