Wednesday, January 6, 2010

19 years ago...




...I welcomed my second child into the world. Kayla. Did you know her name means '...sister of my soul'. Not really, I just made that up, but that's how I feel.
I remember being worried about having another child and loving her as much as I loved my first one. I didn't think I could ever love anyone else as much as I loved my little Chelsea. But when they laid that sweet little baby in my arms, I knew my worries were over.
We named her Kayla after my middle name, Kay, so of course she was destined to be just like her mother. And she pretty much is. We look alike...that is, if I had naturally curly hair, a perfect nose, perfect cute teeth and sparkling blue eyes, we would practically be twins. We also share the same emotional DNA. In any given movie, if someone, or something dies, if someone is sad, or even happy, if someone is lost, or found...if the background music starts playing soft and sweet and my heart overflows into my tear ducts...while everyone else around me is rolling their eyes, I know I can turn to Kayla and we'll both have tears running down our faces. Like me, she has a soft heart. And a very giving heart.
She'll be the first one to come to the aid of a friend. I can't count how many times she would decide, usually at 11 pm, that she needed to run to the store to buy something for a friend who needed cheering up, or who was having a birthday and she needed to decorate their locker. Plates of cookies went out to anyone who was sick, or broke a bone, or just because. I suggested she become a nurse because she is so compassionate, but she wants to become a psychologist, because she likes to listen to other people and tries to help them with their problems.

And so, what seemed like only yesterday that she was born...my little girl is now too far away to hold. She's all growed up and on her own. She doesn't need me to comb the snarls out of her hair anymore. She doesn't need me to match her outfits, cut up her food, read her bedtime stories, and kiss her goodnight. I'm not there to help with homework, listen to her boy problems, and get her out of bed ontime.
But Kayla, I'll always be here when you need a home-cooked meal, dorm decor advice, and a shoulder to cry on...cuz you know I'll be crying right along with you.

And your never too old for a good-night kiss, neither am I. I miss your good-night hugs and kisses. I miss you most of all. I miss that little girl who would make up stories that never had an ending...that sang and danced and twirled everywhere she went. But I know she's still in there somewhere...you still make me laugh...you make my heart sing...I'm so proud to be your mom.

xoxoxoxoxox

Happy Birthday girl! Love ya

3 comments:

Susan said...

Happy birthday! You described Kayla well, she is just a beautiful, joyful little soul. Good to know those recessive Mills traits do get passed on, we need more sensitive people in the world.

GGma said...

She is surely like her mom. It sounded like me describing you when you were my little girl. Telling endless stories dancing and singing. I sure do love her too.

Faund Images said...

OK... so now I'm crying! They grow up too fast. Seems like yesterday our little girls were playing in the back yard... You brought tears to my eyes. I love ya Kayla!