Friday, June 11, 2010

He's got an angel with him


All's quiet on the western front.

I like to quote from books and movies that I've never seen or read. That one just popped into my head because it's, well, quiet.

Tary is away at youth conference, probably getting rained on the plains of Wyoming. Years ago when our stake started taking the youth on the trek, I was always amazed with the thought that the sights were still preserved. I always thought some unseen hand must have had something to do with the pioneer trail remaining untouched by land developers and skyscrapers...that is until I had the opportunity to go for myself and see it. It's a whole-lotta wind and nuttin going on out there. Sagebrush as far as the eye can see. But then again, maybe someone deserves more credit than I give Him. Maybe He planned it that way, so youth groups 100 years down the road could stand in the same cove, cross the same creek, hike the same rocky ridge, and feel the same presence of angels helping them every step of the way. I like to think so anyway.

Trey is at his friends birthday party/sleepover.

Kayla is at a single adult activity.

And me, I'm enjoying the peace and quiet. Nothing but the sound of clothes flipping in the dryer to disturb me, and the occasional sound of the heater kicking on. It's freezing tonight!

I've made quite the to-do list for myself and had hoped to spend some un-interrupted time this weekend working on it. I tried to get a jump start on it last night, but Chelsea came over and we ended up talking the night away. Not a bad way to spend the evening, it was rather enlightening.

Have you ever just listened to your children talk? When your paying attention, you can hear some pretty funny things.

Trey: "Do you know what I'm in the mood for? Fish legs". Fish legs? You want fish legs? "yeah"...I didn't even know fish had legs. "I mean crab legs!"

Trey again: " I have cat-like laxatives." Laxatives? You have cat-like things that make you poop? "What? No, you know, that thing where you can always land on your feet" Do you mean reflexes? "Yeah, that's what I have, cat-like reflexes"

Chelsea: "Remember the time that Kayla tooted and Mom answered 'What?' cuz it came out sounding like 'Mom'

Kayla: "Remember the time when Chelsea was being rude to me and she said, 'Just stop talking. Everything that comes out of your mouth is so stupid.' and so the next thing I said was 'Chelsea' and she wanted to kill me?"

I love my kids, they always make me laugh.

It's nice to know you don't have to go all the way to the dusty plains of Wyoming to be in the presence of angels. I have 3 of them at home.

4 comments:

Makell Wintle said...

Your kids should be comedians!

Susan said...

Oh my goodness! I was laughing so hard, Gavin was very concerned and Jaycee was telling me to "just breath, mom!" So funny! Thanks for sharing and embarrassing your kids for our sakes! Oh, and I hope Tary's not too cold out there!

Faund Images said...

You are SO AWESOME! That is hysterical! I love your little angels too!

GGMa said...

Enjoy them while you still have them at home. You will have plenty of down time when they are gone. Life does go on. Happy Birthday ! We were just watching old movies and we were celebrating your 22nd Birthday and Chelsea was 6mo old. It seems like in the blink of an eye. In 22 years you will be where I am and Chelsea will be you. I Love you