Tuesday, October 26, 2010

One hot mummy





Wow, it's snowing outside. Fall is passing me by, and I haven't even blogged about it yet! So much has happened, Trey got braces, Paisley found her smile, Kayla got a boyfriend...and all the while I'm bogged down in computer purgatory (that's a nice word for the 'H' word).
Ladies, thought you would want to know, nagging still works. Last night my sweet husband finally consented, and we went out and bought a NEW computer! It's so sweet. Now I'm in blog heaven.
So much to talk about, where do I start? In honor of my new computer, I'm going to do something I've never attempted before. I'm going to do a...dah dah dah...tutorial.
We have a tradition in our family, it's fairly recent. In 2005 my Holiday edition of Taste of Home had a recipe for Mummy Calzones. Ever since, we've had a special Halloween dinner, full of body parts and creepy food. I thought I would pass along the recipe so you can make mummies of your own.
You will need:

2 loaves frozen bread dough, thawed
1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup pizza sauce
pepperoni slices
1 egg, beaten
olives
Roll out each piece of dough into a rounded triangle shape about 14 inches long and 11 inches wide at the base of the triangle. Place each on a parchment lined baking sheet with the tip of the triangle toward you. Lightly score a 4" wide rectangle in the center of the triangle 2" in from the top and bottom. On each long side, cut 1" wide strips at an angle up to the score line, leaving a trianglein the top center of the wide end for the head.
(sorry, this picture is misplaced. Pretend it's at the bottom)



Inside the scored rectangle in the center, layer pizza sauce, cheese, pepperoni and olives. Shape the top center triangle into a head. Starting at the head, fold alternating strips of dough at an angle across filling, stopping at the last strip on each side. Fold the bottom dough tip up over the filling, then fold the remaining two strips over the top; press down firmly.




Brush dough with egg. Cover and let rise for 15 minutes. For eyes, press a sliced, cut in half, olive pieces into head. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-28 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes before slicing. Makes 8-10 servings. See pictures above.


Enjoy!
(More blogs to come...stay tuned!)

4 comments:

Susan said...

How long have you been doing this and you never told us? What a fun idea! Oh and congrats on the new computer!

Charayne said...

I'm glad that you got a new computer...keep those fun ideas coming. Sure do miss you guys!

GGMa said...

You should write a cook book. Cute dishes,and glad you got yourself a new computer.

Faund Images said...

My life has been entirely too busy and rediculous... I've missed your blog so I'm commenting on all of the posts! haa

Great tutorial... Vanessa would love it. Maybe I'll zip it over to her!