Monday, June 18, 2012

I'm baaack...

I'm back, but I don't know for how long. I've been busy, and I'm only going to get busier.

I've missed blogging. I feel a little rusty. Feels kinda like doing a cartwheel after a 30 year absence. You still remember how, it just feels a little uneasy stretching out your arms and letting gravity plummet you headfirst to the ground, hoping you still have enough arm muscles to hold the additional weight you've put on since you were 14. If this post seems a little disjointed, like i've been dropped on my head, I'll leave it to your imagination as to why.

So, you may be wondering what has brought me out of the depths of bloggers retirement? Happy news! Kayla and Curtis are engaged! I was so excited to tell everyone in church on sunday, but Facebook and Tary beat me to it.  But since I love a good love story, I'm going to tell it to you.

Last fall, Kayla made the decision to move out of her apartment in Ogden and move into her Grandparents home in Bountiful. (Good thing my parents went along with her plans). She was turning 21 in January and would be at the ripe old age when unmarried women in the church face the difficult decision, "Should I go on a mission?"  She had always talked about it, and thought moving in with the grandparents would help her save for the big event. Saving money on rent but spending it all on gas to drive to work and school seemed silly, so she transfered branches from Ogden to Centerville.

It was at her new branch that she met a girl who seemed insistent on playing match maker. Mystery date #1 didn't take, so when she tried her matchmaking skills again, Kayla was a little hesitant. This time, however, Kayla was able to see what he looked like before she agreed. Curtis just so happens to also work for America First, at a different location, so she looked Curtis up on the company phone list to view his picture. He is very photogenic, say no more. Curtis also had the ability to look up Kayla's picture, (this says alot about his character) and decided to contact her anyway. jk. They got to know a little about each other through instant messaging, (another method to avoid speaking in person) and agreed to meet in a group setting.

Kayla asked her high-school friend to double date that night. Red flag. Kayla and Nicole together = silliness. Again, Curtis gets kudos for seeing past the awkward first date with sidekick Nicole, and gave her another chance.

I'm not sure which date number they came down to west jordan and stopped briefly at our house, but it must have been early in their dating scene because it was another double date. I was alone at the time, Tary and Trey were out, and I was covered in fuzz from sewing McKenna's minky blanket. They didn't stay long, and we only made the obligatory small talk, "Hi, nice to meet you. What are you guys doing tonight..." that sort of thing. But I do remember asking Tary that night if it was wrong to pray for Curtis to fall in love with our daughter.

Prayers are answered.

They did fall in love, fast and hard. I think they were pretty much inseperable from that time on. (Pretty sure Kayla is rolling her eyes right now and saying, 'Oh Mother'. Keep in mind this is my blog and my interpetation of the events. Feel free to rebuttle in the comment section). I reminded her Tary and I dated for three years, but he living in Tooele, and I in Bountiful, we only saw each other once a week. Cell phones, texting, or e-mails didn't exsist. We communicated through old fashioned long-distance phone calls and love letters through the mail. Whereas, if they weren't with each other, they were connected at the thumbs (aka texting). Therefore, it was okay to fall in love with someone they've only been dating for a few months.

I knew they were meant for each other, even before she admitted it. Curtis was the first guy that when I mentioned marriage she didn't freak out. Instead, a little smile would cross her face; that's when I knew. She was a goner.


I think i'll stop the story here...that gives me a reason to come back tomorrow and blog some more. Stay tuned for the proposal...

3 comments:

Makell Wintle said...

Hooray for Kayla!! I'm excited to hear the proposal. I wonder if Jed knows his family... what is his last name?

I'm glad you're blogging again, you always make me laugh!

Unknown said...

DITTO what Makell said!

GGMa said...

Curtis and Kayla make a great couple so happy they are moving forward. He will be a great addition to our family..