Tuesday, June 19, 2012

the Proposal

I love keeping secrets, I'm pretty good at it too. So when Curtis texted Tary last tuesday and asked if he could meet with him, I didn't tell a soul. Not even Chelsea.

Curtis came by Tary's work on Wednesday, and after waiting for 20 minutes, which probably seemed like an eternity in a non-air-conditioned building stocked with car parts and stocky men, they finally met up.

Tary didn't give him a hard time like he said he was, for which I am grateful; I'm sure Curtis was nervous enough without having to decipher sarcasm from seriousness. He let Tary in on his plans to pop the big question on friday; and since the only secrets we have between us are how much I actually spend at Kohls, and he at Cabellas, he included me in. I didn't tell a soul. Not even Chelsea. I lied; I did tell my co-workers...only because Tary called me at work after Curtis left and they overheard my shouts of joy. After my outburst, I felt an explanation was necessary. 

Friday finally came. I knew Kayla and Curtis had plans to spend the day together, so I eagerly awaited the phone call. It came...about 9:30 am. Kayla was so excited! She had great news to tell me! "Guess what?" she said,
"Curtis bought the ring you always wanted, proposed on bended knee and now your engaged!"
Is what I could have said, but I didn't want to steal her thunder, so I excitedly replied "What?"
"I scored 100% on a mystery shopper and received $100! I also got a 87 out of 92 on my test, and got a raise at work! This is the best day!"
"Oh, you think it's good now? Just you wait Kayla"...of course I didn't say that either.

I thought she would be calling me back later that morning; nothing. The afternoon came...and went; nothing. By evening I was beginning to wonder if Curtis had chickened out. Finally, just after 9 pm, Kayla called. My fears were confirmed, Kayla and Curtis were breaking up. Apparently he was a two-timer. Yea right, I wasn't buying it; afterall, I was in on the secret. And then she started crying. What the crap?! Was she being serious? Had he really turned out to be a jerk and had us all fooled into thinking he was Mr. Wonderful?

Now I don't know if she really was crying, or if she was fake crying, but my nomination for best actress in "My Momma's a Sucker for Tears" goes to Kayla. Just as I was about to have a good cry with her, she told me the good news, they were engaged!

Here's how it went down:
There is an overpass near Curtis's house for pedestrians. Earlier that day, someone had stuck the red plastic cups in the chainlink fence and spelled out "I (heart) K". I don't know if his proposal budget didn't cover the cost of more than one bag of cups and he ran out and couldn't spell out her whole name, but Kayla saw it and said, "Ah, I love K. Is that me?" "Of course", he replied. "That's so sweet!" and it was.

They went out to dinner and came back, again driving under the overpass, when Curtis noticed a few of the cups had fallen out. "Let's take a walk to the overpass and fix your sign". While walking towards the walkway, Curtis turned and facing Kayla, so she couldn't see what was in front of her, he showered her with kisses her all the way to the top. Then he stepped aside so Kayla could see the colorful display of chalk art along the concrete; "Festival of Color, REAL soccer, Dance, Happiness Kayla and Curtis, love..." memories of their good times together, and at the very end of the journey were the words, "Kayla, will you marry me?"

Then in true gentleman fashion, he got down on one knee, popped open a ring box, and properly asked her. She bawled like a baby, threw her arms around his neck so hard she knocked him down where he smacked the back of his head so hard on the concrete, it gave him a concusion. As he was passed out, she brought him back with 'true love's kiss'.

I don't know if that really happened, but i thought a little payback was necessary. That's right little Ms. actress...don't mess with the screenwriter.




The funniest part of the story...Curtis didn't put up those cups that spelled out I (heart) K. But when Kayla thought it was aimed at her, he used it to his advantage and had a great excuse to get her up to the overpass. Well played out.


Nicely done Curtis!
 Welcome to the family!

3 comments:

Makell Wintle said...

How exciting!! Congratulations to all of you. What a fun proposal.

Rob'n'Mon said...

Sounds like you're getting a great son-in-law! COngratulations!

Unknown said...

Well I loved reading that... I was laughing (cuz you're funny) and Lauren from the other room, "Mom, what are you laughing at?" Me, "Funny, funny Linda!" You always make my day, you little screen writer. I'll for sure NOT mess with you! lol