Thursday, March 5, 2009

A sure fire way to be alone...

So, my last post, just a few minutes ago, was short and sweet. Really, I didn't know what else to say about the pretty snow, so that's that. But I have the quiet house all to myself, no one is bugging me to use the computer, the TV isn't blaring in the background, and I can actually hear myself think. So, I thought I would just keep going. About what, I'm not sure yet, but we'll just see where this takes us.
Have you ever noticed that when you want peace and quiet, noise and interruption seem to follow you instead. I've decided if I ever want to get my childrens attention, without yelling mind you, all I have to do is plop down on the couch with a really good book, and in less than 5 pages, they'll be at your side. The problem with this technique however, is that now all you really want to do is read, and all they want to do is tell you about their day and how many times they got tackled at recess, etc. Another sure fire way to "not" be alone, is to lock yourself in the bathroom. Kids can be on the play-station for hours at a time, but the minute you step into the bathroom and sit on your throne, they're right outside the door, asking you the meaning of life.
If you want your neighbors to call, sit down with the whole family for dinner. They'll usually call in the middle of the prayer. If you want them to come over, don't clean your house that day. Just leave those dirty dishes on the counter and laundry scattered all over the floor. Your visiting teachers might not come for months, but leave your home a mess and that's the day they'll choose to drop by.
BUT....(here's my sure fire way to be alone)
Stack the dishes up, fill the sink with hot sudsy water, and EVERYONE disappears!

Now if I can just figure out a way to read while washing dishes, without getting the pages wet!

2 comments:

Charayne said...

Interesting. I have noticed that myself. It must be Murphy's Law. Nobody ever comes when you've spent the day cleaning. HA! That's what makes it so funny. I think that you are the cutest lady ever! Hope you have a good weekend.

Faund Images said...

Linda, you always make my day... AND Lauren's! It's so fun to read your blog and laugh... you are too cute and what you have to say is so true!!! Love your guts!