Sunday, December 26, 2010

Silent Night

I hope Mary's ok with the donkey holding the baby


(Paisley got to be baby Jesus)



I'm not sure she liked her present, but she loved the wrapping paper.

Ah, the day after Christmas. Otherwise known as "The Big Let Down". I'm just grateful I had a day to do nothing but sit and recoup at church. I've never been more grateful for 'a day of rest'. I'm already dreading next year when I have to go to work the day after Christmas.




I've decided Christmas is much like vacation. You plan and prepare and look forward to it for so long, that when it finally comes, it may or may not live up to your expectations, and you always seem to need another vacation to rest up from it.





So many of our traditions are centered around food. As a child, I looked forward to Christmas eve as much or more than Christmas day! Every year, my mom would bring down her glass serving sets. They were cute little glass trays and cups that they used to use in the good ol'days for wedding receptions, just the right size for a little kid. We would have Sprite (soda-pop was a rare treat growing up) and make our own mini-pizza's, customizing it to our likes. Olives were a must, crackers and chips, vegi's and dip, and the traditional yule log.



Spouses and 20 grandkids later, we've had to replace the pizza's with soup to make it more manageable. But our traditional junk night is a staple on Christmas eve.



And now, I have our own Christmas food traditions. Every Christmas we have a traditional turkey dinner with mashed and sweet potatoes, rolls, beans, and my once a year red-hot jello salad, and of course, yule log.


Despite all the hard work, it was a great day. I even got to sleep in til 8 am. Of course I didn't fall asleep until after 1 am (yeah, i'll admit, i had a hard time falling asleep). The kids were happy with their presents, the husband was happy with his, and when they're happy, I'm happy. And when Mom's happy, everybody's happy. It was a happy day.


Today was a good day too. I've tried hard not to let the Christmas blues take over, and it's been nice to be able to finally relax. I didn't even make a big sunday dinner, thanks to leftovers. Then we all sat down together as a family and watched one of the movies we got for christmas. Who would have thought toys could make me cry? Ah, it was a good cleanser cry. I feel refreshed.


Christmas day is over,
The tree is bare once more.
the presents have all been opened,
the gifts neatly stacked on the floor.

Christmas carols are softly fading,
Christmas greetings are no longer heard.
The feelings of anticipation,
no longer within us are stirred.

The joy of the season starts fading,
the day the tree comes down;
we box up the memories and trinkets,
they'll keep till next year comes around.

But the meaning of Christmas shouldn't be stored with the lights
and only come out once a year;
No, the meaning of Christmas should live in our hearts,
the feelings of love always near.

And so my gift to the Christ child
this year I'll give to him,
to keep his spirit within me;
Good tidings for men will not dim.

I'll keep the Spirit of Christmas
every day of this new coming year;
kind acts, good thoughts and deeds
will keep me in Merry Christmas cheer.

Merry Christmas everyone! I hope it was a good one...I hope we can all keep Christmas, not just 12 days of the month, but 12 months of the year!

2 comments:

Susan said...

I love your poem Linda! and reading about all the wonderful memories. I have to say I'm slightly envious that Cindy got the cute little plates. That sure made X-mas eve fun. I think I'll have to start some traditions with my own family, but for some reason I never can make things as great as our childhood was.

GGMa said...

Loved your comments. Best Baby Jesus ever. I think that is why traditions are important they make great memories. We have alot of them, and hopefully many more.