Saturday, January 29, 2011

Boredom

Have you ever had a day in which you had nothing to do...Oh the prospects of such a day. Well, I'm having one of those days. But instead of feeling motivated to sew, or scrapbook, or clean a closet, or all those other things on my list of "Things I'll do when I have more time", I'm doing none of them. I have the perfect case of "Mom...I'm bored". I hate to let a good whine go to waste, so here it goes:

I've had the past two days off from work, so my housework is pretty much done, although when does it ever stay done. So if I were to be completely honest, I would say 'I'm tired of cleaning the house. The closets can stay cluttered for a few more months.'

My daughter is home from college this weekend, so my normal laundry day has been postponed.

I tried out my new Jillian Michaels 30-day shred yesterday, so obviously I'm much too sore to workout today.

My son has a basketball game in 2 more hours, so pulling out the scrapbook stuff, or starting a new sewing project would be redundant. It takes me 2 hours just to pull everything out, get organized or decide what new project I would want to start. By the time I would be ready to get going, it would be time to get going.

I could plop myself down on the couch and read a good book. However, since I finished my last time-taker-upper 2 weeks ago, "The Maze Runner" (which is really good, I highly recommend it) I haven't been consumed with anything since then. I could go to the library and find another one to read, but I currently don't have a car, and walking is out of the question, since I'm still too sore, and it's much too cold.

Shopping is always a good cure for the boredoms, but again, I don't have a car. My husband is fixing it. The door handle hasn't worked on the inside of my car for the past year, so everytime I need to get out of the car, I have to unroll the window and open it from the outside. How embarrassing is that? It's especially fun when it's pelting rain or snow at me. I think he chose today to fix it on purpose, knowing I would be bored, therefore shopping would inevitably follow.
Being bored today wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't a continuation of last night. Friday nights Tary and I usually go out, it's our date night. On occasion, we have a chaperon tagging along, namely our son, who because we usually feel guilty leaving him alone to eat cold cereal while mom and dad go out to eat, he often comes along. But last night, he was spending the night at his friends house...sweet. However, since our college daughter was coming home for the weekend, I felt equally as guilty saying, 'we're going out, find yourself a bowl of cereal or make yourself a sandwich', since that is what she pretty much lives on up at college. So, I made a lovely homemade dinner for her, and us, and hoped to catch a movie with Tary afterwards.

Don't you just hate having expectations? They never go as you had planned. First of all, there really weren't any movies we were just dying to see, or willing to pay $8/person, or stay up till midnight to watch. Movies out...what then? Chalk it up to middle age, or complacency, or martyrdom, but we didn't do a dang thing. At least not together. I ended up going grocery shopping. How pathetic is that. I did realize that the best time to go food shopping is 8 pm on a friday night. You pretty much have the whole store to yourself. Nice. Attitude, not so nice. I was pretty much a poop the rest of the evening.

Being bored does have it's advantages though. I have a lovely new background to my blog. I thought it reflected my theme quite nicely...much ado about nothing. They look like they have nothing to do as well, just lay around and daydream, and play hide and seek in the forest of fairies.

Being bored makes you grateful for the days when you do have alot to do. My old home-ec teacher from high school used to say, "Idle hands are the devil's work", or something like that. I think what she meant is that when we're bored and not doing anything useful with our hands, we end up doing something we shouldn't be doing or we're just wasting time. Like spending hours playing Ma-jongg on the computer (guilty) or making cookies (cuz i'll eat them all) or sitting in front of the tv in a stupor.

Ho-hum. Dull-drums.
Being bored is no reward.
when life is fun, we get more done.
when life is dull we feel a lull.

Nice. You've all been spared further poor poetry. Kayla's laundry is done...my car is fixed and ready to go...it's lunchtime and everyone is hungry...

well, being bored was nice while it lasted.

3 comments:

Susan said...

Love the new background! If you're ever that bored again I have a darling 2 year old that will keep you busy, or a cute baby you can come hold so I can pay some attention to my cute toddler :)

Faund Images said...

Hey cute bored woman... Haven't had that happen to me yet but wonder what I'll do when it does! haha
Love your new background! FUN!
Love ya and can't wait to see you this weekend! yay!

GGMa said...

I didn't think working mom's ever got a day to be bored. I hope you enjoyed not having anything to do. Or you could have gone and gotten that cute little granddaughter can't wait to see her again.