Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Ode to Spring



I've been wanting for the past couple of weeks now to officially welcome in spring. I'm still waiting. It's been rainy, snowy, cold, gray and yucky for much too long now. I know in Utah that's what spring is all about, but I'm getting weary of it all.


I just want to go outside and read a good book on my warm cement porch. I want to go watch my son play his baseball game (3 games cancelled already due to weather). I want to tip-toe through my tulips. I want to turn my face to the sun, close my eyes, and drink in the warmth on my face (maybe get a tan too). I want to smell the fresh grass clippings from the first cut of the season. I wanted to spend easter saturday at Antelope Island, flying kites, digging in the sand and wading in the shallow water.


Am I asking too much here? Oh, Mother Nature must be suffering with PMS. One day she is glorious and beautiful, the next day she is cold and insufferable. How long must you torture us?


Let me flatter you with praise so that you might soon come and stay. I call it:

Ode to Spring

Oh Mother Nature, hear me speak

your goodness and grace I do seek.

Our corner of the earth is cold,

so if I could speak to you so bold

I'd ask that you could take some pity

on poor little me, I feel so...

Tired of all this rain and gloom,

can't you send your sunbeams soon?

My sad little flowers need your rays

my pale white skin needs brighter days.

The baseball fields need dry green grass,

not muddy fields when they slide on their ...

assume for a moment we like the snow,

we do, in winter, but it's time for it to go.

The calendar says it's the middle of April,

the short spring season has been peediddled.

Before too long summer will come

and spring will be over before it's begun.

So let the sun come out and play

let it stay out the live long day.

Let it warm our homes, our skin,

let the allergy season begin!

The runny nose, the watery eyes,

the itchy throat, pollen filled skies.

Kleenex, nose drops, visine and more,
just thinking about it my nose is sore.


On second thought, I'll give it a rest;
afterall, Mother knows best!





1 comment:

Susan said...

I feel like I say the same thing every time, but I'll say it again: Linda you are the best! Love your poem, and I couldn't agree more!