Thursday, April 2, 2009

It's been a red-lipstick kind of day!

I have an obsession, not with shoes or purses (ok, maybe just a little purse obsessed) I'm obsessed with lipstick. I have more lipstick than any two lips can wear in a lifetime. Apparently, my problem is that I have yet to find the perfect color for my lips. They look so pretty in their little tubes, and I think to myself, 'what color, when applied, would attract my husbands lips to mine' . Like a fish being lured by shiny things, I try to lure my husband with shiny pretty lips. (Maybe that's the problem right there, comparing myself to a fish.) Anywho, $8 later, and the perfect color on the box when applied on my lips becomes too orange, too red, too pink, too dark or too light. Oh what's a cover-girl wanna-be to do?

Lately I've had an obsession with red lipstick. Blame it on the cute quirky girl on the Progessive commercials, or Nie-Nie, (something else I'm obsessed about but that's another blog). Problem with red lipstick, it doesn't look good on me. It makes me look like a little girl who snuck into her mothers makeup case and went to town. My girls, on the other hand, with their full pouty lips, look like throwback girls from the 50's, Marilyn Monroe and Jane Russell. Of course the irony in all this is that they hate to wear lipstick. A tube of lip-smackers, starburst strawberry, is as about as wild as they go.

They think lipstick is old-fashioned. Tell me, what is wrong with being old fashioned? Maybe that's what our country needs right now, a little more old fashioned women in society. Women who put on red lipstick and a frilly apron (blog to come) and twirl around the kitchen to the crooning tunes of Michael Buble or Frank or Dean while making homemade bread and soup to feed their hardworking husbands at the end of the day. Think of the good that can come out of your homes ladies, and it can all start with one small step...a good lipstick. Off the soap box, back to the red...
..I've determined I just don't have the lip shape to carry off the look. It's like comparing their full lips to red vines, and mine to twizzlers pull-aparts, one strand. But after watching "America's Next Top Model" and feeling 10 years younger, thanks to afternoon at the salon and coming home with a new color and hair-do (thanks chels) we threw caution to the wind and broke out the brightest red we could find and had our own "top mom model" photo shoot. Trey was our photographer, our little Nigel. He did pretty good don't ya think? And 2 seconds after we wrapped up (that's photo lingo for all done), the girls were scrubbing their lips until they were void of any color. I tried, as a mother, sometimes that's all we can do.
As for me, the search for the perfect color-lucious, irrisistable, seductive, kissable lips is still an ongoing process...until then, maybe just a little chocolate on the lips wouldn't hurt!

3 comments:

Susan said...

Okay Linda, I'll be honest, you do have thin lips, but those pictures were great! And the envious thing is, you look young enough to be their sister, not their mom! I love the new hair, you look gorgeous!

Faund Images said...

I LOVE reading your blog... and so does MaKell. She said to me the other night, "I didn't know Linda was so funny!" FINALLY my girls get why I want to hang out with you every chance I get! ...now the sad truth is, my lips are thinner than yours. Mine disappear when I smile and I can see your pretty lips even when you smile!

Jenna said...

well i happen to sell Avon...shameless plug i know.....