Friday, April 17, 2009

Say What?

The other night, Tary and I were watching some show on the Discovery Channel called "Hamburger Heaven", or something like that. They were spotlighting some of the best hamburger joints in the U.S. They looked really good, except for the burger in New York that cost $41, that right there would turn me into a vegetarian pretty quick. Anyway, this one lady had this Ginormous burger in her hands, and she was trying to figure a way to gracefully shove it into her mouth with a camera inches from her face, knowing that thousands would be watching, and I'm sure was concentrating so hard on trying not to slop it all down the front of her, that she wasn't thinking enough about what she was saying. This is what she said: "I don't know how I'm going to get this around my mouth"...say what? I'm pretty sure what she meant to say was 'I don't know how I'm going to get my mouth around this'...and the funny thing is, (as if that wasn't funny enough) I totally let it slide. In my mind I heard what she was trying to say. If Tary hadn't pointed it out and repeated it (while laughing) several times, I never would have given it a second thought. But my husband is good at that...he listens. Me on the other hand, it usually goes in one ear and out the other before my brain has a chance to digest the words. I think that's a self preservation skill us Mothers learn in order to keep our sanity. Or maybe it's because I speak another language, and that lady and I have the same dictionary. Let me give you an example:
Christmas day: Our family sits down to a friendly game of "Taboo" that we just got from Santa. If your not familiar with it, your teammate tries to get you to guess the word they have, but can't use words to describe it from a list they have. Kayla is trying to give us clues, goes something like this..."...this is what they do at the beginning of a sports event to see what team gets to kickoff first..." oh, oh I know this one..."toin coss! toin coss!" I'm greeted with puzzled stares, so I shout louder in case they didn't hear me clearly..."toin coss! toin coss!" They heard me clearly alright, they're all laughing now and saying "No, that's not it" What? it has to be. More clues. Yes, that's it. I said it already, more exasperated now, "TOIN COSS!"...buzz. times up. The answer was "coin toss"...that's what I said! Toin Coss!
So lady, whoever and wherever you are...take comfort, I know what you meant.
As for my family, next year for Christmas, you'll all be receiving a new dictionary...Linda's Edition. And yes, Toin Coss will be there!

6 comments:

Susan said...

I love your "mother's self preservation" idea of things going in and out the ears. I have always had a bad habit of saying "what" then answering the question or making an appropriate comment. Sometimes Hubby will just sit and wait before repeating himself after I've said "what" just to make sure I really didn't hear him.

And by the way, I mow the lawn with a mow-lawner. If you want, I'll have a toin coss with you!

linda said...

susie your funny! Anymore funnies out there and I'll add them to my dictionary, as well as 'Say What...part II'

Makell Wintle said...

Story of my life!!!! I swear I'm dyslexic. Jed is constantly laughing at my made up words. I said Mocon retrol for remote control when I was like sixteen.

Mills said...

Hey Linda - John kept reading "coin toss" until he got to the end of the story! He's on the same wave length as you are!

You are quite the blogger!

Faund Images said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Faund Images said...

MaKell DOES do that all the time; it's hysterical! My sister calls my mom's speech "Owena-eeze"... maybe it's hereditary! Anyway, you make me laugh OUT LOUD!